Military Discharges

Effective January 1, 2004 military discharge papers are considered private data pursuant to Minnesota Statute 196.08. You will need to fill out a form showing tangible interest before a copy of the military discharge can be released.

After an individual separates from military service, they receive a DD-214 (military separation form). The military service organizations strongly suggest recording the form with your county Recorder's Office to ensure easy availability of a certified copy of this document if the original were to become lost or destroyed. Upon recording of the Discharge Papers the county Recorder's Office will furnish free certified copies to any person who shows a tangible interest.

As a courtesy to military personnel, the county Recorder's Office does not charge for the recording of the DD-214 forms. If you have lost or misplaced your military separation form and need a certified copy, and you did not record your DD-214 form in your county Recorder's Office, you need to contact your local branch of the Veteran's Administration for assistance. Our office only has records of DD-214 forms that have been submitted to us for recording.

Contact Lisa Klenk at Sibley County Veteran Services: (507) 237-4090